A list of things that matter:
- Well-placed stubbornness
- Good food and good people
- Amending unhelpful rules
- Keeping records for the future
- Freedom within sane restrictions, i.e. no destroying the freedoms of others
- Organization, except when it's not the point
- The environment
- Respecting others, even when they're wrong
- Respecting yourself
- Honesty and integrity
- Remembering that while interesting, the news is often unhelpful
- Speaking your truth
- Remembering that normal is often bullshit
- Not getting stuck in your own made-up categories
A list of advice
- Put your well-being before being normal; good people won't mind your weirdness.
- Remember that your internal critic means well, but may not be helping in the right way. Teach them how to help you.
- Live your truth, not everyone else's.
- Remember that your emotions are felt for a reason. Listen to them.
- Learn that your worth is inherent, not bestowed upon you by others. There will be no other you, and that is valuable.
- If it feels like bullshit, it probably is.
- Friends are worth more than money.
- You can never be boiled down to a clear-cut label. You are complex.
- Push yourself. Leaving your comfort zone is painful but powerful.
- Don't ignore your comfort zone in a way that breaks you. Know your limits.
- Discomfort can be a good thing. Don't avoid things that make you uncomfortable without a very good reason to do so.
- Keep asking "why?" until there's no deeper answer.
- If they won't respect your boundaries and autonomy, leave.
- Attack problems at their source rather than their symptoms.
- Remember that one-size-fits-all advice is bullshit. Take what works and leave the rest.
- Learn nuance.
Back to About